New Brunswick Plating, Inc. began in 1932 by
Martin and Harry Sica. The original name "New Brunswick Nickel and Chromium
Plating Works" was changed to the current name in the 1960's. In the early
1930's the company gained expertise in the hard chromium plating process
which was new to the industry.
The company grew in size during the 60's and 70's, adding another 30,000
square feet to its 1947 building, while employing about 25 people. The next
change in business came in the 80's, which ushered in the environmental
factor in electroplating. The company kept pace with increasing regulations,
but the days of the giant projects were over. With every operation they had
to consider their treatment system. Pollution prevention, waste-water, solid
waste, VOCs and OSHA ended the "Rube Goldberg" era at New Brunswick Plating.
As the Cold War ended, Star Wars faded, and heavy machine manufacturing
companies moved off-shore. The firm turned toward plating electronic
components and optical fiber devices. The second generation positioned the
company for a handoff to the upcoming third generation. They, in turn, made
ISO 9002 a reality. With online computers in every office, bar coding,
electronic data interfacing, and computer generated scheduling, they have
positioned the firm with a solid foot into the 21st century.
* They hard chrome plated the largest die body in the world, a 3-stage
* Sulfamate nickel plated 35 foot stainless steel periscope tubes with .020"
* Nickel - Gold plated the internal sections of a cast iron reactor for the
Atomic Energy Commission 4'x6'x3'
* Plated the landing gears on JFK's Air Force One.
* Decorative Rhodium plated the framework of the "Great Ring of Canada"
designed and made by Stuben and presented to the people of Canada by
President Lyndon Johnson.
* Gold plated the retro rockets on the Surveyor Space Craft, which made the
first soft lunar landing.
* Gold plated many parts on the early communication satellites, and also
black nickel plated thin foiled solar collectors 4'x8'.
* Nickel plated 8-ton shafts for the USS Milwaukee.